Workshops and Talks
Workshop Description - Basic PECS 2 Day Workshop:
What could be more valuable than giving your student/child the ability to communicate? PECS is a tried-and-tested approach that uses pictures to develop communication skills in children and adults with a wide range of learning difficulties. Easy to access, affordable to implement and scientifically supported as one of the most effective interventions, PECS is an opportunity to open the door to spontaneous communication.
This workshop is the basic accredited training in PECS and recommended for parents as well as professionals.
Benefits of PECS training:
- increases skills and independence with a functional communication system
- reduces inappropriate behaviours by reinforcing requests and positive communication
- teach your student/child to initiate communication and develop social communication skills
- see how it works with live demonstrations, video examples and opportunity for practice
- parents: become a leader in your child’s education
- professionals: gain valuable skills and learn how to implement PECS effectively in your environment
- learn the ‘whys’ behind the practice to enable problem-solving
- gain inspiration – learn practical tips and have questions answered from our specialist consultants
What you will learn:
- everything you need to know to begin successfully implementing PECS
- the theoretical background, including how to develop effective educational environments
- a review of visual strategies useful for communication
- the six phases of PECS, where to start and when to move on
- strategies for motivating your child/student to communicate
- how to move from a single picture exchange to sentences
- how to teach picture discrimination with two or more pictures
- the criteria for transitioning from PECS to other communication modalities
Training is essential: Learning first-hand will teach you how to move through this structured approach and avoid misunderstandings which can prevent progress. This workshop is also a basic requirement for further training in PECS, such as the certification process and advanced PECS training.
Pyramid Educational Consultants UK, the only official training provider of PECS in the UK, has trained over 30,000 people. We offer training, customised consultancy and resources to support PECS and the Pyramid Approach to Education.